About Us

History

Community Bakery was started in 1947 by Ralph Hinson in the Rose City section of North Little Rock. The bakery moved to a storefront near 14th and Main Streets in Little Rock in 1952 where, over the years, it became an institution in the area. Mr. Hinson’s head cake decorator, Agnes Bargiel, bought the business from him in the late 1970′s and operated it until she sold it to Joe Fox in 1983. Mrs. Bargiel continued to decorate cakes at Community Bakery until she died in 2008.

Mr. Fox opened the West Little Rock location in 1986 and then relocated the Main Street store to its current location after renovating the vacant historic Cohn Building. The Café operation, espresso bar and distinctive line of European style pastries were added when the bakery opened in the Cohn Building at 12th and Main in 1993.

All of our baking and cake decorating is done at the Main Street location and many of the recipes used 60 years ago are still in use today. Community Bakery employs 65 people to meet the needs of our customers here in central Arkansas.

Best Bakery Awards

In recognition of the esteem in which Community Bakery is held by our customers, we have been voted “Best Bakery” in Central Arkansas in the Arkansas Times Readers Choice Awards and “Best Bakery” in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Best of Central Arkansas Awards practically every year since the awards were established. We have also received numerous other “Best Bakery” awards.

A Community Partner

Community Bakery supports many community groups and events though donations of baked goods, gift certificates or cash. And we are pleased to donate our day-end unsold products to two meal programs for the homeless – Stewpot and the Feed the Hungry program.

Showcase for Local Artists

Community Bakery features local artists at our Main Street store. Artists who wish to show their work, should contact lia@communitybakery.com. Please include contact information and a link to a website with samples of your work.